Tuesday, July 14, 2009

B*****, Please, I say what I want...


cont'ed conversation from "the headphone hideout.blogspot.com"...Every man, woman, and everyone else in between has a protected Right to express views, thoughts and opinions, BUT (and this is a BIG BUT- one the size of the First Lady's, b/c Michelle IS carrying cake in those tailored made designer dresses)......
I always find the argument that people have the RIGHT to free speech most compelling. Governments have set laws that now outlaw particular words, labeling them as hateful and imposing. In fact, if a white guy hit me in the face, spit on me, then topped it off with a super sexy suplex, he'd get a few years in prison for assault. BUT if he added the word "nigger" or made references to my race during the aforementioned Brooklyn style beat down, he could possibly get 25 years to Life as it could then be considered a hate crime. The beat down no longer came because I squeezed his fiancee's love handles and told her about the gym specials,but because I am Black. All because of a few added adjectives? Not so sure I agree with that (sometimes). But I digressed. My thoughts towards the young fella from Poway sort of follow my thoughts toward gun laws and other RIGHTS we have. Simply put-ALL RIGHTS COME WITH RESPONSIBILITIES. We cannot run through Time's Square waving 9mm handguns claiming that we have a RIGHT to do so. However who could debate the existence of a second amendment. With our freedoms come responsibilities that people selectivity follow and/or ignore. Everyone has a right to free speech, but when it crosses a line and becomes irresponsible and reckless, I believe you begin to violate the very principles on which the 1st amendment was founded. You begin to exploit your own rights and make those who carefully, strategically, intellectually, and PRODUCTIVELY voice those very same opinions, SICK. We begin to feel like Liberals who cringe when that over LIBERAL person is offended when you take a deep breath claiming that you're destroying the environment; Or that Conservative who ducks and covers when Mr. 1st Amendment yells bomb on an airplane. Ethics evolve much faster than law. It seems as though those who continue to practice irresponsible usage of their rights (free speech, free press, etc) are running at a much slower pace. Keep up!

I may just start to argue that loitering laws violate my 1st amendment right.....I like to hang out.

No comments:

Post a Comment